Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Networking

When I was a child, I would meet people -- on buses, trains, at camp . . . And I always thought I would meet them again.

As I got older, I felt a bit guilty that I hadn't "written," "kept up with..." etc. Took me a while to realize that the other party hadn't either.

I believed (still do) that if you like someone, you are inevitably going to run into them again. Although now I think that it may be next lifetime.

The electronic age, however, has caught up. Networking on the Internet is all the rage. I've just succumbed to the 3rd invitation by someone to join facebook. I entered my address book as a *.csv (comma separated value) file. Suddenly, hundreds of names and emails and pictures popped up and I was asked if I wanted to add some as "friends" or just select all. Well, I went through and selected some 50-100 names that I recognized.

What will this lead to? I am breathless. Could there be too much of a good thing?

No comments: